Re: [Lug-Nuts] mutt

From: Brian E. Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Tue Aug 31 1999 - 01:33:38 PDT

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 08:27:44PM -0700, "MM" == Mike Machado wrote:
MM> Ok, I have heard a lot about mutt and have decided to start to use it. My
MM> first question is I have heard it can do threads. How I do I get it to
MM> thread the message as opposed to just listing them in order they come in.

Mike,

Glad to hear you are trying mutt. Once you get the hang of it, it is quite
powerful. Below I have listed all the cool features I have figured out thus
far. urlview which used to be part of mutt is now separate. I hope you installed
it too. Below you will find contents of different "." files that will allow you
to look at url's people send you by just hitting ctrl-B and selecting the url.
In addition, the .mailcap will throw an html attachment into lynx for viewing.
THis is quite useful when you get messages containing just html content. In my
muttrc you will notice I have outgoing copies saved in the outbox. One cool thing
I have not configured is rotation and gzipping mail folders. You can write your
own script to do that. Mutt 1.0 pre just came out, so it looks as if Mutt
is taking the spot as far as being the mailer of choice amongst the Un*x hacker
community.

To specifically answer your question, when viewing the messages, hit
the 'o' button and it will show the options by which messages can be
viewed. You can hit the 'T' button for viewing messages by thread.

Here's my muttrc file. Maybe it will give a few more tips.

$ cat ~/.mutt/muttrc

alias mikes "Mike Simons" <msimons@fsimons01.erols.com>
set record=+outbox
set alternates=brian@(darkstar\.)?brie\.com
set print_cmd="cat - | lpransi"

Here is the source for lpransi. It allows printing to a local printer when
telnetted into your machine, similar to ansi print in pine.
To compile it
$ gcc ansiprt.c -o lpransi
# su
# cp lpransi /usr/local/bin

/*
 * ansiprt.c
 *
 * Simple filter to wrap ANSI media copy escape sequences around
 * text on stdin. Writes /dev/tty to get around things that might be
 * trapping stdout. This is actually a feature because it was written
 * to be used with pine's personal print option set up to take "enscript"
 * output and send it displayward to be captured/printed to a postscript
 * device. Pine, of course, uses popen() to invoke the personal print
 * command, and interprets stdout as diagnostic messages from the command.
 *
 * Michael Seibel, mikes@cac.washington.edu
 *
 * 21 Apr 92
 *
 */
#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/file.h>

#define BUFSIZ 8192

main(argc, argv)
int argc;
char **argv;
{
    char c[BUFSIZ];
    int n, d;
    int ctrld = 0;

    if(argc > 1){
        n = 0;
        while(argc > ++n){
            if(argv[n][0] == '-'){
                switch(argv[n][1]){
                  case 'd':
                    ctrld++;
                    break;
                  default :
                    fprintf(stderr,"unknown option: %c\n", argv[n][1]);
                    break;
                }
            }
        }
    }

    if((d=open("/dev/tty",O_WRONLY)) < 0){
        perror("/dev/tty");
        exit(1);
    }

    write(d,"\033[5i", 4);
    while((n=read(0, c, BUFSIZ)) > 0)
        write(d, c, n);

    if(ctrld)
        write(d, "\004", 1);

    write(d,"\033[4i", 4);
    close(d);
}

$ cat ~/.mailcap
text/html; lynx -force_html -dump '%s'; copiousoutput

$cat ~/.procmailrc
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail #you'd better make sure it exists
# DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/inbox #completely optional
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from #recommended

:0 c
* ^TObrian
IN.priority1