Re: [Lug-Nuts] Rookie 2

From: Brian E. Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Wed Sep 01 1999 - 09:18:45 PDT

Yes, I seem to remember having a similar problem when I tried using a
kernel that did not have proper support. Here is what I would do. Get
yourself a copy of Slackware. It has a whole bunch of kernels compiled
with specific hardware support. IMHO, Red Hat tries to be the easy catch
all solution to everyone. With Slackware, you can choose from their list
of kernels to make a bootdisk and color root disk. It will use the same
kernel for production that it uses in installation. In fact Slackware from
CDROM.com contains a fully functional Linux that can be run from a bootable CD
Rom. I would buy the $40 cd set from cdrom.com which contains the little
booklet which gives you the essentials for installation. If you have more time
than money, I would get the CD from http://www.cheapbytes.com. You just
have to read the documentation on the CD. THe CD from cheapbytes is bootable
too. Good luck.

brian

--
Brian Lavender