[Lug-Nuts] printer whoohs again, help.

From: Brian E. Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Sun Sep 12 1999 - 15:28:54 PDT

When I try to print something with my linux box, I get nothing.
I am using LPRng. I also successfully configured my printer port.

$ echo "Hello World" > /dev/lp0

will print hello world. I have to manually form feed the page

But when I do

$ lpr /etc/passwd

it produces nothing. I then query the print spool

brian@debian:~> lpq
Printer: lp@debian 'PostScript'
 Queue: 1 printable job
 Server: no server active
 Rank Owner/ID Class Job Files Size Time
1 brian@debian+328 A 328 /etc/passwd 1297 15:22:26

It looks as if lp is trying to open a file title lp, but it is finding that it is
a directory. Indeed, if I ls the directory, I see that lp is a directory and not
a file

debian:~# ls -la /var/spool/lpd/lp
total 1319
drwxrwsr-x 2 lp lp 1024 Sep 5 13:58 .
drwxrwsr-x 3 lp lp 1024 Sep 12 15:22 ..
-rw------- 1 lp lp 107 Sep 5 13:58 cfA143debian.linux.bogus
-rw------- 1 lp lp 0 Sep 3 23:11 control.lp
-rw------- 1 lp lp 1151 Sep 5 13:58 dfA143debian.linux.bogus
-rw------- 1 lp lp 102 Sep 5 13:58 hfA143
-rw------- 1 lp lp 5 Sep 5 13:58 lp
-rw------- 1 lp lp 1335070 Sep 9 23:38 status.lp
-rw------- 1 lp lp 5 Sep 5 13:58 unspooler.lp

You can see that I have a file called, /var/spool/lpd/lp/lp
so it looks if I have something screwed up somewhere. Here is my printcap

$ cat /etc/printcap

#
# Copyright (c) 1983 Regents of the University of California.
# All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
# provided that this notice is preserved and that due credit is given
# to the University of California at Berkeley. The name of the University
# may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
# software without specific prior written permission. This software
# is provided ``as is'' without express or implied warranty.
#
# @(#)etc.printcap 5.2 (Berkeley) 5/5/88
#
##PRINTTOOL## LOCAL PostScript 600x600 letter {}
lp|PostScript:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
        :mx#0:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/usr/local/bin/hp4laser:\
        :af=:\
        :sh:
##PRINTTOOL## LOCAL PostScript 600x600 letter {}
hp4manual:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
        :mx#0:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/usr/local/bin/hp4laser:\
        :af=manualfeed:\
        :sh:

This printcap works with BSD LPR, so I am a bit confused as to what is wrong here.

Any suggestions?

brian

--
Brian Lavender