Re: [Lug-Nuts] comparing directories

From: Mike Simons (msimons@fsimons01.erols.com)
Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 01:33:37 PDT

On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 02:09:58AM -0700, Brian E. Lavender wrote:
> Say I have two machines, and I want to see the differences between
> /usr/local/bin on the two.

Brian,

  The fact that the files are on two different machines and you haven't
given enough information about what sorts of network stuff is
available... really messes up the chance for a simple script.

# if both directories are visible on one machine for 'cmp' style:
diff -qr /path1 /path2

# if both directories are visible on one machine for 'diff' style:
diff -ur /path1 /path2

# if you only want to see which files don't match (kinda like 'cmp')
cd /path1; find . -type f | xargs md5sum > /tmp/dir1
cd /path2; find . -type f | xargs md5sum > /tmp/dir2
diff -u0 /tmp/dir1 /tmp/dir2

  ...if none of the above works for you send more info.
    Mike Simons