[Lug-Nuts] Netsacpe won't start

From: Brian Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 12:59:36 PDT

Netscape complains it can't load the libXt.so.6 library when I try to
run it.

I downloaded Netscape for Linux libc5 and installed it. It seems that
the libc5 version is supported while the glibc2 one is not. Since
I have libc5 runtime libraries on my system, I figured I would
go with the supported.

I loaded it on my linux box and I am getting an error with
a library. Specifically

darkstar:~# /usr/local/netscape/netscape &
/usr/local/netscape/netscape: can't load library 'libXt.so.6'

I have libXt on my system as shown with locate.
$ locate libXt
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6

I am not sure how to configure my machine to find different
libraries. After installing the gtk libraries, I went to configure
my system so it could find the new libraries

Half sure what it was doing. I edited the entry /usr/local/lib
to it

brian@darkstar:> cat /etc/ld.so.conf
/usr/X11R6/lib/Xaw3d
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/libc5-compat
/lib/libc5-compat
/usr/local/lib

I ran

# ldconfig

It looks as if the path to the libXt is in the path in the conf file,
so I am not sure why Netscape can't load it. Any clues?

brian

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/