Re: [lug-nuts] tools for verifying hardware

From: Brian Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 23:14:23 PST

If the modprobe of the module that supports your card
is successful, then your card works. Next test is to ifconfig
your card, and then ping it. After that, ping your gateway.

This is the manual way. The ethernet HOWTO has details regarding
the modprobe of your card.

To verify the ethernet module is loaded that supports your card try

# lsmod

and look for something like ne2000, 3c509, tulip, or one of the other
ethernet drivers. It helps to know what kind of card you have. then try

# ifconfig

to see if an eth0 device comes up showing configuration information.

If you have to buy a new 10 Mbps NIC card, buy a D-Link. It uses the
ne2000 driver. I have seen them for as low as $7 as Fry's. I bought a few
of the Linksys 10/100 cards for $30. THey have the tulip chip in them,
but I think they changed chips now. But Linksys is one of the companies
which acknoledges Linux, and indicates whether their cards work with
it. THeir website indicates which drivers to use.

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/