[lug-nuts] Jan 12th, Da Basics

From: Brian Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 23:22:41 PST

I thought it would be cool to have a basics Linux meeting.

Shall I say "Da Basics!" :)

A meeting for the gearhead, who at knows how to take the cover off
his machine, has probably heard of Linux, or even the novice user who
has stuck a distro in his machine, and maybe got it to work, but is,
well, a little hazy on the basic principles in Linux is the audience
I have in mind. Or I suppose since Linux is a unix type OS, even some
Unix principles, since having knowledge of Unix certainly increases
the fun value in Linux. So, here's a list to get us Started. In fact,
I was thinking along the lines of Matt Welsh's "Installation and Getting
Started Guide" book for Linux.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/docs.html

This is probably the book I printed out when I first started
with Linux a year and a half ago. So, I am thinking of a 45
minute presentation with three speakers at 15 minutes a piece.
Keep it brief and keep it quick.

Mike Machado volunteered to do a secition, and I will do a section,
so we could use a third person. Here are the topics I am thinking
about. Please contribute.

ls, cat, vi, emacs, more, less, cd (pipes)
File System (/etc, /usr, /bin, /home, etc.)
Kernel (boot disk, custom kernel, how modules work)
Boot Disk (proper support for your hardware)
Partitioning (mount points)
Permissions (World, Group, User)
System Initialization (Bootup and Shutdown)
Virtual Consoles
IRQ's, video, Controller, hardware stuff
HOWTO's (where to get em)
Books

Like I say, please add to the list, and we will sort through
it once we gather more entries. I would especially like to
gear this meeting to the novice, yet I would like to have it
so the user is at least comfortable pulling the cover off his
machine.

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/