RE: [lug-nuts] How do I get a block of IP addresses?

From: Lavender, Brian E SPK (BLavender@spk.usace.army.mil)
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 11:07:10 PST

named based virtual hosting is something that is a more recent development
as I understand. The browser sends the host name which gets set as an
environment variable for the web server. The web server will know to respond
to that host name based upon its virtual hosting configuration. So if you
have five domain names resolving to the same IP address for www, the name
based virtual hosting will be able to distinguish which hostname was
requested. Previous to this, multiple IP addresses were aliased to the same
interface (It sounds like you are familiar with this). Name based virtual
hosting works with IE 4 and above and Netscape 4 and above. I don't know
about lynx. Anyone know if it works with lynx?

If you have a browser that doesn't send the host information, Apache will
respond with the default configuration for the IP address the host name
resolved to.

Any corrections to this?

brian