Re: Changing screen resolution

From: Beth Camero (beth@compu-diva.com)
Date: Mon Jun 14 1999 - 19:13:18 PDT

Mike(s) et.al,

Okay, 'Ctrl Alt +' didn't do anything, which must mean the XF86 config is
not set up. How does one set that up? When Brian was helping me do the
original install, at one point it asked what monitor, and we chose a
generic one, with several different resolutions and refresh rates. Is this
what you're talking about?

[since I wrote this earlier and accidentally responded back to Mike S.
rather than the list, Brian pointed me to the XF86config and now I have
screen resolutions, and {except for the incredibly annoying panning option
I haven't figured out how to shut off} all's well once again in Woodland]

A separate, but related issue:
How do you get into the setup for anything in the gui interface?

For instance, if I've added a modem, where do I specify what it is, or what
com port etc. Or what number to dial to get to my ISP.
Same with the NIC. If you can't do it through KDE, where can you do it?
I looked in linuxconf and still couldn't find anything.

Finally, is this the right venue for complete newbie questions like this?
If you guys mainly all use this list for something else, let me know. If
not, I know of at least one person besides me who was at the installfest
who will benefit from seeing the answers to this email -- Dan, if you're
seeing this -- you looked like you were about in the same place I was.
I could set up another list, but it doesn't do much good if there aren't
veterans around to answer the questions.

Thanks,
Beth