ip forwarding answer (from work)

From: Brian E. Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Mon Jun 21 1999 - 17:40:46 PDT

This is in response to Adam's question about IP forwarding.

I commented out the ipfwadm lines on my current box, so below is what I commented out. I don't think you are going to find that going to ipchains will solve your problem. I would imagine the problem lies elsewhere. You also need helpers in the kernel for certain applications such as ftp.

I think you asked if your question was appropriate for the list. I would think so. List traffic is slow. I am sure it will pick up. You might want to also try
comp.os.linux.setup

I have gotten a lot of help there.

I am at work and I popped an email late last night to my win 95 machine which I recall you asked about the speed of my dsl line?

Well, let's say I once accidently filled three gigs of drive space in a couple hours downloading FreeBSD from cdrom.com on a recursive download. I often see 150 kbytes/sec (that bytes not bits) and I have seen it peek at 160. I think that is slightly faster than T1.

brian

My network.

192.168.1.100 - Linux Box (Gateway machine connected to dsl)
192.168.1.2 win 95
192.168.1.1 Linux Box

IPFWADM stuff:

 ipfwadm -F -p deny
 ipfwadm -F -a -m -b -S 192.168.1.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_autofw
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_cuseeme
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_irc
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_mfw
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_portfw
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_quake
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_raudio
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_user
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_vdolive

Current IP Chains stuff:

     echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
     ipchains -P forward DENY
     ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0