Internet connection under SUSE 6.1

From: Scot Bohnenstiehl (scotb@dgweb.com)
Date: Thu Jun 24 1999 - 16:01:31 PDT

Hi, I have SUSE 6.1 and I run my internet connection to dgweb through
Kppp. The problem is that although my internet does work it is slow.
Before with windows 98 (which I got rid of) I would get between 3 and 4K
per second at 40K bps. I still get about 40K bps but I average around
1K per second or lower. I remember setting the MTU under windows to
tweak the speed a little higher so I called dgweb and they said they
used a MTU of 1500. So I went to the options file in the ppp folder and
set the MTU to 1500 but still there is no speed increase. Setting up
PNP under Linux looked like a pain so I set my modem (a Creative Labs
Modem Blaster) to non-PNP, COM 3, IRQ 10. I'm sure that Linux isn't the
problem, it's user error (me) except I can't figure out what I've done
wrong. I've tried using wvdial to establish an internet connection
through the command line but it can't find my modem. I set Kppp to look
at cua2 to find my modem and that works. I'd really appreciate any help
in solving this problem.

Thanks, Scot