Suggestion for type of modem to get

From: Brian Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Thu Jun 24 1999 - 16:54:07 PDT

It seems that I keep running into people who have problems with
configuring their modem with Linux. And of course they have internal
modems. To top it off they are often PnP. So, I encourage those out
there who want internet connectivity or those who are helping others
with another person's Linux box, to get an EXTERNAL modem. Here are
some good reasons to go external.

- You know what COM Port and IRQ your serial ports are set to.
- You can see the lights on your external modem. This is important
because sometimes you don't what the heck is happening and flickering
lights are a solid sign that something is working.
- Converting to ISDN is just a matter of switching the external modem
with an ISDN adapter. Yes, ISDN is that easy! (16650 UART suggested
for full 128)

If you think setting up a connection to the internet is difficult, try
diald. Then you will appreciate and external modem.

brian

--
Brian Lavender
Sacramento, CA