Oracle 8.0.5 successfully installed on Debian 2.1

From: Brian Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Sat Jul 03 1999 - 12:15:01 PDT

I downloaded the Oracle 8.0.5 server off the Oracle ftp server
ftp://ftp.oracle.com/pub/www/oracle8/linux/ and I succesfully
installed it. There were a few glitches, but nothing major. Debian 2.1
looks to match the requirements for istalling the Oracle server almost
to the word. Oracle requires glibc 2.0.7 which Debian 2.1 contains
along with a minimum 2.0.34 kernal. Debian 2.1 contains the 2.0.36
kernel. In fact, you have to apply a patch if you are using glibc 2.1.
I installed the scott/tiger database which comes with oracle. Mike
Machado got DBI/DBD working. This distribution of Oracle looks to be a
fully functional server that is free for use. I have found no
restrictions for using it in commercial applications. Oracle does
promote their commercial apps included in their Enterprise edition
which do cost extra.

Mike Machado worked with me on this and significantly contributed to
the success of the install. Thanks Mike.

I will make a presentation at the next meeting regarding successful
installation. I also found a place on the net which provided some good
tips. It is specific to Red Hat 6.0, but applies to other
distributions as well.
http://jordan.fortwayne.com/oracle/index.html

brian

--
Brian Lavender
Sacramento,CA

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -- Hunter S. Thompson