Re: [lug-nuts] Idiot networking question

From: Sean-Paul Rees (sean@dreamfire.net)
Date: Sat Nov 27 1999 - 18:27:54 PST

Webb Sprague wrote:

> Do I need to go buy a router to network just two
> machines together? According to the Ethernet HOWTO I
> either have to use a router or chop up my cable and
> switch the wires around; I am not that much of a
> hacker, and I want to avoid buying anything more near
> Xmas...

I believe you mean "hub" instead of "router."

The simple answer is no, you do not need a hub, for two computers. Most
certainly not a router. If you want to connect them directly, you need a
crossover cable. These aren't much more expensive than straight-through
cables. You can also chop up a straight through cable and make it
crossover, if you have the tools.

If you are planning to add more computers down the line, I suggest
buying a hub. It will cost you $15+ depending on how many hubs and if
you want 100baseTX support or not.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Sean