[lug-nuts] stupid newbie questions

From: Joel Hatch (joel@wolfpack2000.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 23:38:18 PST

Hi, there!

I'm kind of a Linux newbie (I've just used it for a few months). I'm
trying to set up a small home network (and get better configuration for
each of my machines), and wondered if you would be willing to help out
with advice, pointers, recommended HOWTOs, and so on from time to time
as I get stuck.

I have three computers in my network -- two of them dual-boot Linux and
Windows, the other is a Macintosh. One of the PCs is mine, the other is
an older machine that belongs to my little brother. I want to get them
all working fabulously this month, while learning a lot about linux. I'm
hoping to get my brother's machine working correctly first, then get my
network running, and then get some additional work done on my machine.
Here's what I'd like the final system to look like:

My hope is to set up my linux machine to act as a network server. I want
to set it up to get on the internet and act as a firewall for the other
machines. Right now, I can get it on the internet, but network speed is
abysmal so I think I need to modify some settings somewhere (in
addition, sometimes I can ping an address, but get a host-not-found
error when I try an http connection). I have set up netatalk so that I
can connect to the server from my Mac. I've also set up inetd (for
telnet & FTP) and httpd on the server for local access only.

At some point I'd like to get my Linux machine to play nicely with some
of my other toys. I have a few SCSI devices and a wonderful network
printer that I'd love to use under Linux. I'd also like to get sound
working, though it doesn't work for Windows, either. (My server has
sound support built into the motherboard, and frankly I don't think my
vendor set it up right -- I may even need to update the BIOS...). I also
want to play some DVDs on the machine; I'll probably just need to
install Livid for that... ;-)

The Mac is working as a wonderful little client. It can access my linux
machine from the finder, telnet in to my server, transfer files to my
server via FTP, and even browse local web pages. Since that's all I want
it to do, it's set. The only thing that I want to change is the network
accessibility. At the moment, I'm using it to connect to the internet,
and I have to switch the TCP/IP settings to access my linux server (so
sadly I can't do both at once). Once I get my server set up correctly, I
should have complete access from my mac.

My little brother's computer is having some problems. The sound isn't
working under Linux, but it works fine for Windows. I used pnpdump to
generate the isapnp.conf file, then edited it to put in what I believe
to be the correct values, then ran isapnp to load it. Is there something
else I should be doing?

Also, his machine isn't able to attach to the network. I get a "network
unreachable" error when trying to ping my server. I think that the
driver isn't working correctly. His machine has a new LinkSys EtherFast
10/100 Lan card, so I tried using the tulip driver, but without success.
I have heard that the via-rhine.o file might work, but it's not an
option in linuxconf, and I'm not sure which file to edit by hand. Any
suggestions?

Also, when I attempt to access the windows partition (hda1), I get the
following error message: mount: fs type vfat not supported by kernel. My
server works fine with the vfat filesystem, and I put Linux Mandrake 6.0
on both of the systems. Logically, they should both support the same
filesystems. Is there some daemon or loadable kernel module that I don't
have installed? Anything else you can think of?

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

--Joel