Newbies Allowed? ... WAS: Re: [lug-nuts] Response to Da Basics meeting

From: William W. Viergever (wwvierg@ibm.net)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 10:28:47 PST

PMFJI:

I'm a Newbie* to this list, but have been a long timer on the SAS-List Server (been a SAS code dog since mid 70's and an OS/2-er since '89) and over there we court all questions: newbie or guru <g>.

As in any crowd of individuals, however, you may get the snide, put-down-ish response here and there. But the List does seem to "police" itself (large N, I guess, keeps the outliers in check) such that, by and large, the SAS-List is a casual and comfortable place for all.

Not to be presumptuous, but I don't see why it can't be the same here.

In fact, I *guarantee*, I'll put my foot in my mouth at least a few times, via "dumb-to-others" types of questions when I finally get around to post to this List <vbg>.

-----
* I'm so new, I don't even have a Linux box yet!!.

Later

At 04:12 PM 01/14/2000 -0800, Eric Andreasen wrote:

>Sounds like a good idea. It can be intimidating to think about posting newbie-like questions in the rarified atmosphere of this linux guru forum. ; ) I'm sure we sometimes look downright ignorant, yet, if you read the definition of the word "ignorant", we are! I'd like to feel free to ask dumb questions without thinking I might be waisting anyone's time (or bandwidth!).
>Eric A.
>
>>From: "Dilley, Larry (OTS-RC)" <Larry_Dilley@billing.com>
>>To: "'lug-nuts@saclug.org'" <lug-nuts@saclug.org>
>>Subject: [lug-nuts] Response to Da Basics meeting
>>Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 08:34:51 -0800
>>
>>I thought it was good stuff. Even though I knew everything from the meeting,
>>I'm still a pretty green newbie. Many times I find myself lost at some of
>>our regular meetings. I still contest that we need some sort of "newbie
>>forum" for those of us that are just starting out

William W. Viergever Voice : (916) 483-8398
Viergever & Associates Fax : (916) 483-8399
A SAS Institute Quality Partner (USA) E-mail : wwvierg@ibm.net
Sacramento, CA 95825

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
- Groucho Marx