Re: [lug-nuts] apples and oranges

From: Sean-Paul Rees (sean@dreamfire.net)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 18:25:54 PST

Mike Machado wrote:

> Technically NAT is having MORE THAN ONE IP on the outside network that
> gets translated to a different IP on the inside.
> Most think that there is only one real IP on the outside, but true NAT
> has more than one IP. IP Masquerading utilizes TCP ports to keep track
> of what internal IP is doing a request and then using the ONE REAL IP
> issues a request on the net. Once it gets the response, it knows who is
> who because of the unique sending port from the internal client and
> forwards the data back to that user. Anyone have different opinions?

Dunno there Mike. I run NAT (FreeBSD's natd) for my cable modem. I have
a RFC1918 network on the inside and a single IP on the outside. I'm not
sure that it determines the connection by port... I heard somewhere
that FreeBSD's NAT sticks a specialized little "tag" on the connection
and when that "tag" comes back from the outside host it knows where to
route.

As for the difference between IPMasq and NAT... IP Masq is very hard to
setup and configure compared to FreeBSD's NAT :-)

Cheers,
Sean