Re: [lug-nuts] applications

From: William Kendrick (nbs@sonic.net)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 02:40:59 PST

> http://www.freshmeat.net
>
> I believe that most of these are gnu apps, but it certainly is a
> good resource. GNU is good anyway.

Actually, most of the programs not GNU (ie, the GNU organization didn't
make them). However, I assume you mean that most of the apps are under
the GNU Public License (GPL), which is a license anyone can release software
under (as long as they themselves abide by the license, of course!)

>From the FreshMeat contribution form, they accept software that's
released with any of the following licenses:

  AFPL
  Apache Style
  Artistic
  Artistic & GPL
  BSD type
  Commercial <-- ie, not free / GPL / GNU ;)
  Eiffel Forum Freeware License
  free for non-commercial use
  free to use but restricted
  Free Trial
  freely distributable
  Freeware
  GPL <-- there it is! ;)
  IBM Public License
  LGPL <-- and the related Library GPL
  MIT
  MPL
  OpenSource <-- Not sure what this means, since
  Public Domain GPL and many other licenses are
  QPL considered "Open Source." Maybe
  Shareware "OpenSource" (one word) is a specific
  source-available commercial license. Confusing...

-bill!
nitpicking all day today, sorry ;)