Re: [lug-nuts] Web page updated and all GIFs burned

From: William Kendrick (nbs@sonic.net)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 01:28:06 PST

> Yes, png is is compact, lossless and it supports high color. It also
> supports transparency. I believe this is called setting an alpha channel
> or some effect.

Actually, alpha channel is different (read: better) than the "transparency"
that GIF supports.

With GIF, you have up to 256 colors. If you want, _one_ of those colors
can be considered 'transparent.' (In otherwords, 100% of what's behind
it shows through.)

With PNG (as with other formats that support an alpha channel), different
pixels (no matter what _color_ they are) can have a certain amount of
transparency set. This really aids in antialiasing graphics.

For those of you who were at the last LUGOD meeting and saw Raster's
demonstration of EFM (Enlightenment File Manager), you might remember his
little plug of how cool PNG is, and how cool it makes icons (and graphic
thumbnails) look in EFM. :)

Speaking of PNG, a while back I asked Greg Roelofs, author of the O'Reilly
book "PNG: The Definitive Guide" and a big PNG developer, if he'd talk at
LUGOD.

I should see if his schedule is any freer than it was a few months ago.

-bill!