changing HTTP_USER_AGENT in lynx

From: Brian E. Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Mon Aug 02 1999 - 16:00:43 PDT

I just got lynx compiled with the ssl patch so I can
connect to secure sites. Thing is, when I connect to wellsfargo,
it won't allow me because it does not recognize my browser. I
guess it's looking for Netscape or Internet Explorer. So, I was
thinking of changing the HTTP_REFERER_AGENT to fool the remote site
into thinking that my browser is Netscape. Anyone know how to do this?

In case your wondering how I compiled lynx with ssl support, here is
how I did it.

Obtained ssl libraries from
ftp://ftp.psy.uq.oz.au/pub/Crypto/SSL/SSLeay-0.9.0b.tar.gz
Unpacked it and
$ ./configure
$ make
# make install

I then got the lynx source from
http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/release2-8-2/lynx2-8-2.tar.gz
and upacked it. It unpacked into its own directory ./lynx2-8-2

I then got the ssl patch from http://www.moxienet.com/lynx/lynx-282-ssl.patch.gz
and gunzipped it in the current working directory. I then issued this command

$ patch < lynx-282-ssl.patch

It then proceeded to patch the source. I moved into the lynx source directory
and built it with the following commands.

$ cd lynx2-8-2
$ ./configure
$ make
$ su
# make install
# make install-help (optional)
# make install-doc (also optional)

It dropped it in /usr/local/bin. I was able to successfully connect
to a secure page on Netscape, but when I went another step, Netscape's
we page complained that my browser is not recognized. i guess not
alot of people use lynx. So, I was thinking I could hack the source
and make lynx appear as Netscape, and connect to those sites. Anyone
out there done this?

brian

brian

--