Re: changing HTTP_USER_AGENT in lynx

From: Ajay 'Hempster' Tallam (atallam@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 02 1999 - 20:53:53 PDT

On Aug 2, 4:20pm, Sean-Paul Rees wrote:
> Subject: Re: changing HTTP_USER_AGENT in lynx
> "Brian E. Lavender" wrote:
>
> > It dropped it in /usr/local/bin. I was able to successfully connect
> > to a secure page on Netscape, but when I went another step, Netscape's
> > we page complained that my browser is not recognized. i guess not
> > alot of people use lynx. So, I was thinking I could hack the source
> > and make lynx appear as Netscape, and connect to those sites. Anyone
> > out there done this?
>
> In src/LYCgi.c:

> HTSprintf0(&user_agent, "HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla 4.61 [en] (Win98; U)");

> Sean
>-- End of excerpt from Sean-Paul Rees

Hi Sean/Brian,

Umm.. why would you want to hack the source of Lynx? Haven't you guys ever
gone to the 'O'ptions screen of Lynx? you can change it right there!
(Albeit, temporarily, because they're scared Netscape's going to sue, iirc.)

You can also set it in lynx.cfg, and maybe also on the cmd-line, I can't
remember.

Yeah, it's definitely undesirable to have lynx as a crossdresser, but it's
bad enough to do it temporarily, permanently? EEK!! And 'Win98' at that??
I thought this was the LINUX Users group?? ;) (I mean, all they look at is
the Mozilla/ part, iirc, so Mozilla/2.0 (PalmOS; 68k) should work fine, or
something. ;)

On another way/idea, has anybody here heard of or tried Junkbuster? It's a
WAY cool program I was introduced to by Debian (thanks Debian! ;) And SuSe
has included it for a version or two now as well. (But they tout it as one
of their bigger features, heh.)

http://internet.junkbusters.com/

also junkbuster.com works, and www. works, but I think this'll take you
straight to the source. As implied earlier, there are definitely .debs and
.rpms avail, the page might have links to other formats as well.

This is just... THE coolest program that relates to the web that I have ever
seen. Must-have. ;)

Has cool cookie management, fixes referer (I'm shocked! I didn't know that
Lynx supported passing Referer! Grr..) (that is, you can set 'referer' to
whatever you want, so I set it to 'http://www.os2voice.org/' ;)

And I set my Browser to Mosaic, since I feel sorry for it. ;)

But in any case, to check referer-related stuff, http-user agent, etc, a
simple cgi script with some 'echo's or soemthing (I forget, no perl in a
while), should do it, but they have a nice page to check stuff out at,

http://internet.junkbusters.com/cgi-bin/privacy

But yeah, please don't recompile Lynx as 'Netscape Win98', I think that'd
make me cry. ;)

A lot of people don't use lynx? One of my friends told me that .. Marc
Andreesen (I think, maybe one of the other big coders at Netscape) was one
of the original people working on Lynx!

(Dunno if that's true or not, but.. definitely I use lynx all the time, so
there must be a lot of people using it!)

Netscape's just ignorant.

Ohh, sorry this msg is getting a bit long, and I rant, but! Has anybody
ever noticed Yahoo or Altavista? THey look VERY nice if you tell them your
User-Agent is 'lynx' (av also looks the same if you tell it you're Mosaic, I
don't remember if yahoo still is simplified, but it used to be.)

Haven't you ever noticed that, when visiting with lynx, they look a bit
different? How nice. ;) (Again, a lot of people use Lynx, he reiterates.
My friend thought the same thing, not too many people use it, until one day
he went to do a net search for 'lynx'.. heh. ;)

        -Ajay

(Yeah, lynx+ssl=cool. Now I can logon to Etrade. Now only if they'd stop
using Damned Javascript. Grr.)

--
Ajay Tallam     Milpitas, ca    atallam@ucdavis.edu	MooTown, HempVille
			http://os2man.cjb.net/

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti