[Jpainter@fppc.ca.gov: Help]

From: Brian E. Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 1999 - 09:43:36 PDT

----- Forwarded message from Jason Painter <Jpainter@fppc.ca.gov> -----

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 07:57:45 -0700
From: "Jason Painter" <Jpainter@fppc.ca.gov>
To: <brian@brie.com>
Subject: Help

Brian, I attended my first meeting last night and I have to say I was impressed. I enjoyed the enthusiasm everyone seemed to have. Being a network administrator and webmaster, I am quite excited about the options Linux offers.

I need your help though. I have Red Hat 6.0. I have a pentium 233 with 64mb RAM. I have a Future Domain 1800 SCSI adapter with 2 340MB drives attached. I have a IDE CD-ROM. I have a 20MB DOS partition. I am stuck and here's why.

I got the distribution to start once after I made several partitions in Disk Druid. Not having enough disk space, the distribution failed, and I have to start over. Problem is, I can't access the CD-ROM drive. Since I can't access the CD-ROM drive, I can't get to Disk Druid to delete my existing partitions! MS FDISK sees the 20 MB DOS partition and the rest of the space is Extended with logical drives. It's a similar case to NT partitions where I need to use some utility like DELPART.EXE to delete these partitions. Make sense?

2 questions:

1. Is there a LINUX FDISK utility? How do I access it?

2. How do I identify my CD-ROM drive? The error I receive is can't mount CD on /DEV/HDA.

Thanks for your help Brian. If i get past this point I know I am going to like LINUX. I am very interested in Apache web services. I might be trying Slackware shortly.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/