More Expo notes...

From: Daniel de Young (ddeyoung@jps.net)
Date: Thu Aug 12 1999 - 00:53:30 PDT

Hey everybody,

Justed wanted to thank whoever the organizers of the group are.  I was on this list 1 day when I scored free tickets and a ride to Linux Expo.

My overall impression of the Expo is WOW!!!  I can't believe how much money is being dumped into the pain in the butt (but oh so addicting) OS that I first loaded with the release of RedHat 5.0 (1997).

There is some major corporate pushes into the desktop distribution market and it looks as if Corel (if they deliver) is going to take the lead very soon.  Beta's for their OS are due in September.  And Office Suite ports are due in Q1 2000!!!  Move over Gates... Corel Office/Word Perfect  is back and it looks really mad!!!

I had the pleasure of a 10 minute one on one with Geoff Harison (Mandrake) of Enlightenment, RedHat Labs, and VA Systems fame.  He was very down to earth and very helpful.  I discussed multiple head systems and VA's plans for preconfigured/supported boxes that use them.  He said they are coming quick, so if your into that kind of complete waste of desk space... do I here a whoo hooo?  I know a couple graphics guys that are waiting to switch to Gimp for production work until they can get just such an item.  For those who are interested, XFree86 just released 3.9.15 Beta with limited card support.  Download it and tweak away!!!

IBM has a major presence at this years show.  Can you say e-business?  They certainly can.... sheeesh.

Anyway, picked up major free crud.  Snagged plenty of free Linux distros including a registered Caldera 2.2 (can you say score?).

I want to especially thank Aaron Gravvat who was gracious with his extra ticket and vehicle and who tromped around San Jose all day with a complete stranger/wacko (don't feel too bad for him, he won $100!! from Open Systems)

If anybody out there is thinking about checking it out, I highly suggest you go.  I had the best time I've had in awhile.

--
Daniel de Young MCSE, MCP+I

NT Network Support
ddeyoung@jps.net
"If I had a penny for every Service Pack I've installed..."