Re: [Lug-Nuts] mysql...

From: Brian E. Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Mon Sep 06 1999 - 14:12:40 PDT

[cc'ed to lug-nuts]
On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 10:48:45AM -0700, Mike Machado wrote:

Mike,

Are you using vi to edit your email? What you are writing is all going
on one line. It probably looks ok if the email client wraps the lines,
but often when someone replies, some people's email clients will view it
as a line that stretches way far out (i.e. forte agent on windoze). Here
are a couple tips for automatically putting newlines in your messages.

:set wrapmargin=7

This will autmatically insert a newline when you get within 7 characters
of the end. If your xterm is 80 characters wide, you have 72 characters
to work with. AFAIK, that will work well with a default printcap. You
can also take your message and execute a shell command on the text. My
favorite is

$ fmt

The way you do this is

:.,$!fmt

which will do your entire message, but sometimes mess up some specific
manual formatting you may have included. So you can do

!}fmt

which will do just one paragraph.

Below is the original text you typed as a reply, and it reformated
with

!}fmt

> MySQL has this really cool option you can turn on a int column called auth_increment, by which the name implies it increments the column every time a new row in inserted. Useful for unique id's and such.

> MySQL has this really cool option you can turn on a int column called
auth_increment, by which the name implies it increments the column every
time a new row in inserted. Useful for unique id's and such.

As you can see, my original reply on has one ">" mark because your text was on
just one line. Hmm, I can fix that with a search and replace.

:46,48s/^/Mike> /g

and voila, you get as you see below. I manually deleted the first ">"
because I was not quite sure how to say match the beginning of the
line, but not where there was a ">" already. Plus, I also had it replace
the beginning with "Mike".

Mike> MySQL has this really cool option you can turn on a int column called
Mike> auth_increment, by which the name implies it increments the column every
Mike> time a new row in inserted. Useful for unique id's and such.

Can you see the difference?

brian

--
Brian Lavender