RE: [Lug-Nuts] Demo of VMware

From: Bill Mitchell (bmitchel@jps.net)
Date: Sat Sep 25 1999 - 14:19:31 PDT

I'll have to check to see if the Linux VMware license works for the Win
version. I have the Linux version and a license installed on one of the
desktop boxes. The notebook is running Win98. If it works out, I can install
VMware on the notebook and bring it along running some Linux flavor. The
notebook is a P2-266 with 96M RAM, pretty much the bottom end of
configurations that will work without looking like a 486SX-33. VMware
requires quite a bit of resources. Besides needing plenty of CPU, it also
carves out RAM for both the host and guest operating systems. Splitting the
96M into 48M each will do some swapping to disk but shouldn't be too bad.

It is impressive to see though in that you can move back and forth between
the guest and host and even copy-n-paste between them. In a networked
environment, it can have it's own network address through a virtual NIC,
separate from the address of the host operating system. Let me know.

Bill Mitchell