Re: [Lug-Nuts] DSL connection?

From: Michael Picco (mpicco@jps.net)
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 17:03:05 PDT

Thanks for the reply, Brian. Let me give a little more information about what I currently
know:
I was provided with the following IP's: WAN & submask, Gateway, LAN IP & submask.
I also obtained a DNS IP address from the ISP that this DSL is supposedly connected to.
I can ping my router's LAN IP address when I connect through my dialup internet ISP. The
other IP's give me a 'timed out' message when trying to ping them.

The LAN IP appears to be just the DSL 4-port router's address. I can ping it and telnet to
it (although I don't know it's password, so I can't log into it!) from my in-house computer
called BP.

What I currently have is a hub with three computers connected to it, which is the LAN in my
house. On the hub, there is a 'upload' port that allows me to link to either another hub,
or (as is my current hope) the DSL router. Each of these three computers have network cards
in them, so that much is working.

My first thought was to try to get one computer on this LAN working through the DSL router
using Windoze95 and then apply what I learned (and what worked!) to this same box when it's
running Linux.

The computer I'm currently interested in getting connected has an IP address of 192.168.1.1
(BP). As for IP Masquerading, I'm not sure how that might be done in a Windoze environment,
or if it's necessary?

Does this information tell you anything new?

Thanks again,

Michael