Re: [Lug-Nuts] saclug is online. Shell accounts available to members

From: Ajay 'Hempster' Tallam (atallam@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 18:05:34 PDT

On Oct 4, 12:50am, Brian Lavender wrote:
> Subject: Re: [Lug-Nuts] saclug is online. Shell accounts available to memb
> Even though LUGS is catchy, and it is our so called official name, it
> just does not quickly convey who we are when we throw out our name when
> amongst people who are familiar with Linux. I am sure this will evolve
> into a familiar legend I have heard before.

Hey all..

Whatever happened to SLUG (or S-LUG, if it matters?) Wasn't that ever the
name? (Or maybe there was another group called SLUG? SLUG sounds cool. ;)
(You can be like UCSC and make a Banana slug your mascot or something? :)

> "Wasn't there another Linux Users Group in Sacramento before LUGS?"
>
> Everyone knows about SacLUG, but no one was involved with it, or do
> they know whatever happened to it. Does anyone know if the guy that
> has dec.net is alive?

What I want to know is who told me about SLUG!

I thought I already told you (once or more?) about the dec.net guy?
But as for Dave G., yes, he's still alive, and I'm in semi-regular contact
with him, I've known him since ~'97 or something. He lives in Boston. (I was
about to visit him when I Was there on vacation, but it didn't work out.)

But yeah, is there anything you might want me to ask him by chance? Before he
(when he was closing up and getting ready to move out of Sacramento) to give
up dec.net and the mailing lists and all that to whomever wanted to takeoever
"saclug", but nobody stepped up to the plate. (To 'fill his big floppy red
shoes' as he put it. I still have all the mailing list msgs, I think, if
anybody is vaguely interested. He runs qmail. ;)

But yeah, I doubt getting the domain would be that useful now, though I think
it would be productive to have any links to dec.net/saclug (or whatever the
link was) to be removed/replaced with saclug.org and your name/contact info.
I remember seeing some of those references before, does anybody know/remember
of any UG listing pages that still had dec.net listed in them?
(I think this is a good little mini-project.)

Anywho, but I rant. ;)

(though.. not sure if the history/past is really that important.. 'this group'
can take over the role/etc/etc of whatever all other groups were. There are
surely members from any/all in here!)

> Besides, LUGS.org was taken.

Maybe we could take lugs.com? ;)

/me 's still wondering why SCOUG took .com, hmm...

> brian

>-- End of excerpt from Brian Lavender

Was that enough of a history lesson?
And I'm still not sure if the name has to say too much, not sure.. like
svlug.org, you have to know what sv stands for, right? Dunno, doesn't matter.

Ohh, and I was going to ask you about that spcug membership thingy, like forms
and stuff, maybe in another email. ;)

        -Ajay

Ohh, and as for #saclug, I thought that was an interesting idea, but maybe
something like #nocallinux or #calinux or something similar
(Calif-encompassing) could be cooler? Or maybe there are too many
techie-types in California and the channel would be huge? ;)
And yeah, the openprojects part sounds cool too.
/me ponders if he had anything else to say.. forgets. Ahh well. ;)

--
Ajay Tallam     Milpitas, ca    atallam@ucdavis.edu	MooTown, HempVille
			http://os2man.cjb.net/
to believe in God.	-- Scott Stevens, 'Letters' to Time, Sept 13, 1999