Re: [Lug-Nuts] Yes indeed....Linux will bridge Ethernet and Token Ring

From: Brian Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Fri Oct 08 1999 - 10:38:25 PDT

Nice work. Isn't it great the things you can do with Linux. The more you
know, the more you can do. I am impressed you did it with 6 MB of RAM.
In addition, you have successfully firewalled your internal network.
Think if you used flash RAM. You could pull that hard drive out and have
a diskless machine. I don't know how many of you have seen the WYSE terminal
that uses Linux. It has 8 megs of flash ram and no hard drive.

See these sites:
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-343571.html
http://www.wyse.com/winterm/wint5000/5355se.htm

I imagine you are routing full T1 bandwidth too. It makes you wonder how
cisco can get away with charging so much for their routers.

Uhh, I imagine you turned you box into a router, because if it was a bridge,
your nic card / token ring would not have IP addresses. I suppose you could
have bridged it, and then used a more powerful machine on that IP that would
run all the services like a web server, mail server, etc.

Shall we say "There's more than one way to do it"

brian

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/