Re: [Lug-Nuts] Yes indeed....Linux will bridge Ethernet and Token Ring

From: Mike Simons (msimons@fsimons01.erols.com)
Date: Fri Oct 08 1999 - 13:06:03 PDT

On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 01:09:48PM -0700, Adam wrote:
> > Nice work. Isn't it great the things you can do with Linux. The more you
> > know, the more you can do. I am impressed you did it with 6 MB of RAM.
>
> the one thing I didn't mention was the machines does take Approx 15 min to
> boot.... :> or longer I didn't actually time it....when it starts checking
> the module dependencies it seems to hang for about 10 minutes...

Adam,

  You should compile a custom kernel for that machine with only the
bare minimum drivers you need... that will make the kernel memory size
much smaller than the default installed kernels. Once you've tested
the custom kernel delete /lib/modules/2.0.* and depmod won't take any
time at all.
  I think it should be possible to get the system booting in under
3 minutes... by removing various things from the startup sequence
that you don't need.

    Later,
      Mike Simons