[Lug-Nuts] GET A BOOK

From: Linux Rocks (gnulinux@rosecomputing.com)
Date: Fri Oct 08 1999 - 15:08:25 PDT

On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 02:44:10PM -0700, Jason Painter wrote:
> If you were just starting out and wanted to get the basics down so you weren't fumbling around in the dark, what would you do? Take a class? Find someone who knows this stuff? Please don't say get a book!

Seriously, get a GOOD book.
Unix for dummies is okay.
Linux for dummies is better.
Unix Made Easy is so-so
I've heard Running Linux by O'Reiley is good.

Books have their place, but if you don't start tinkering with your
system and trying different things you probably won't put your reading
to good use.

Also, there are TONS of HOW-TO's and tutorials on the net.

Probably the last thing I would do is take a class.

--
At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will find at
least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.