Re: [Lug-Nuts] SHELL WARS

From: Brian Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Sat Oct 09 1999 - 00:27:58 PDT

On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 12:05:06AM -0700, Sean-Paul Rees wrote:
> Bull. The whole of Solaris (Predecessor) is better than the whole of
> Linux (GNU) because:
> a) Solaris has a multithreaded kernel.

How about pthreads? I am not overly familiar with threading, but from what
I have seen, it appears that glibc2 (libc6) is much better at threading than libc5.
Are we looking at threading in the kernel or we looking at threading elsewhere?
Is these two separate issues?

> b) Solaris has true multiprocessing, not that lame stuff that Linux
> passes off as multiprocessing.
> c) Solaris handles lots of RAM better (2GB and above)

I don't think Linux will move past 2GB of RAM on 32 bit systems. I think
64 bit will be the key. Too many hacks required for over 2 GB of RAM
on 32 bit. That's what I read from Linus' talk at baLUG.

> d) It uses ufs, and only requires one partition for all your mounts,
> including swap.

Is this like FreeBSD?

> e) Fully modularized.

How about modules with Linux. I suppose a Micro Kernel would be fully
modularized, but it seems that Linux works well being a monolithic
kernel. Maybe I am missing something here. Is there a advantage to the
increased modularity Solaris has over Linux?

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/