[Lug-Nuts] Development Tree, my experience

From: Sean-Paul Rees (sean@dreamfire.net)
Date: Sun Oct 10 1999 - 12:07:52 PDT

        I recently just upgraded to kernel 2.3.18, from there to .19, and today
to .20. I have to say, the sound support is much improved.

        I also added in the framebuffer driver, and now I run my console at
1024x768. I also get a really neat little penguin at the top of my
screen when it boots. It looks really cool.

In 2.3.19, I had some serious troubles with my ethernet card. Its an OEM
i82557/8 (Intel EtherExpress Pro). It would lockup every now and then,
and a ton of ethernet driver garbage would fill my dmesg. I hope .20
fixed this.

All in all, its been stable. I haven't tested I2O support, or USB (well,
I did try USB. It wasn't worth it since I don't have any USB devices). I
stopped using the ISAPNP code in the kernel because the AWE32 driver
wouldn't attach to it.

Malhereusement, the bttv driver; more specifically the MSP3400 driver
(video for linux) wasn't updated far enough and my radio STILL doesn't
work with the in kernel driver. I have to use the bttv module. I wish
they would update it, for some reason the TV resolution is clearer with
the inkernel driver and not the module. I might try to manually merge
that code in.

Anyway, my test system is this:
        IBM IntelliStation M Pro
        PII 300MHz, 160MB of RAM.
        Hard Drive: IBM Deskstar 10.1GB
        CDROM: 10-24Max Variable CDROM
        Video: Matrox Millenium G200 8MB (with kernel acceleration in
framebuffer)
        PCI Card 1: Hauppauge WinTV Model 401 TV/Radio receiver.
        ISA Card 1: Sound Blaster AWE 64
        Ethernet: Onboard Intel EtherExpress Pro

If you are using your Linux machine as a workstation, give some serious
thought to upgrading to 2.3.20.

Cheers,
Sean