Re: [Lug-Nuts] Running .cgi scripts (Newbie)

From: Brian Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Tue Nov 02 1999 - 14:45:11 PST

Ok, I configured it on a development box. You can look at it at

http://www.brie.com:8080/discus/

Everything worked fairly straight forward. I set my web server so it
ran as the group www-user. This group is a group that comes default with
a debian install. That is the distro it is running on. I made the files
so they are writeable by the group. I did this with the command.

chmod 660

I did not make config files world writeable, so that is the reason the web
server runs as www-user and the files are writeable by the server. Then
I also made the directories where the files are stored so they are set
gid. I did this with.

chmod 2775 /directory/name/and/any/path

I think it would be better to run the web server with suExec compiled in. Apache
does not come with this as defalt. I was looking at the docs regarding this.
In order to change the web server to run under the group id www-user you
change the line. Make sure www-data is also in /etc/group. If you are using
Debian, it will be :)

Group www-data

in httpd.conf

You then have to restart your web server. this is best done with apachetl restart.
And of course you have to be root to do this.

I looked over the scripts and the code looks clean, but there are a couple things
that bother me that are worth noting. It does not use the -T flag and it is not
using strict. The demo I am running is running on a mod perl server, so you
may see some glithches if a bunch of people visited it all at once.

Anyway, you're welcome to check it out.

I might toy with the suExec and see if I can get that working.

brian

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/