Re: [lug-nuts] Boot question

From: Brian Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 10:40:16 PST

You should be able to start your system even though those services
are hosed. If they don't succeed at starting, your system will likely
hang, and finally give up. If they do start, you can stop them by
going to

/etc/init.d/rc.d/ (This varies from distro to distro)

On Debian it's in (I use Debian on brie.com)

/etc/init.d (Just like in Solaris as Sean would say :) )

and executing the shell script that start/stops the daemon
with 'stop' arg ie

# /etc/init.d/apache stop

And you should say
"stopping web server" done

Another way to do it. I would stick in a rescue disk and at the boot
prompt type

rescue root=/dev/hda?

This assumes you have IDE and replace the ? with your boot partition

If you have scsi then it's

rescue root=/dev/sda?

Then you should be able to access your root partition. If you are using
RedHat, then go into /etc/rc2.d and /etc/rc3.d and
mv S25sendmail and S40apache to
s25sendmail and s40apache

This will prevent these services from starting when you boot. Otherwise,
I know of no way that you can keep those services from starting. I
suppose you could specify another root, but that could get complex.

HTH,

brian

--
Brian Lavender