[lug-nuts] List Snafus

From: Beth Camero (beth@compu-diva.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 09:35:26 PST

Eric (and all),

Hey, we all act like fools on lists every now and again. :) At least you admitted it AND figured out your problem AND gave Andy a chance to look like a stand-up guy.

Here's the best f-u I ever personally saw on a list. No urban legend, I saw it with my own eyes. After reading this, you will feel much better about your teeny slipup.

I belong to an Association tech-head list. Very professional, very active, with hundreds of members on it.

One day a woman sent out a note to the list about some normal techie thing. Her old friend happened to be on the list, and the friend replied to the note with something along the lines of 'Hey, baby, it was SOOO good to hear from you again! We've been busy, come look at our new website.' She obviously didn't realize she was writing back to the entire list because she included the URL, which we all immediately went and looked at because we are, by nature, a curious lot.

It was a link to her personal website that had nice new naked pictures of her and several of her closest female friends doing *all* kinds of things with nice captions and _names_ to go with them. Amateur site, fer sure, but....

There were some wickedly funny comments thrown around the list for about a week. The poor woman wrote a cryptic note back to the list after a couple of days saying she was mortified and apologized and then dropped out of association circles. That would be one of those things that haunts you forever.

Feeling better now?

Beth

>Now that I have found out how to use them, I realize it was my fault they didn't work. I apologize.
Thanks all,