crypt in Linux

From: Brian E. Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Wed Jun 23 1999 - 03:47:50 PDT

I was looking at the readme for the glibc 2 upgrade package of Slackware
4.0 and it says that crypt is built with md5 and not DES. I am not
too familiar with encryption, but the Volkerding stated this because
of export restrictions. Basically it sounds as if Slackware crypt, and
I imagine other distributions, are using a weakened crypt.
He further stated that the DES encryption could
be obtained from MIT's ftp site.

ftp://eddi.mit.edu in /pub/gnu

I checked their ftp site and I found the
tar ball for the DES encryption, but did not experiment with it.

Anyone out there using DES crypt or a more powerful encryption on their
system?

brian

--
Brian Lavender