Re: [lug-nuts] SPAM Protection Measures

From: Marc Matteo (mmatteo@sacbee.com)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 12:34:06 PST

Well, with the (quite large) exception of what Rick had to say, I've been
quite happy with the MAPS RBL lists (there are 3 of them).

But, then, I'm not an ISP either.

We handle the email for some really small domains and spam to those
addresses was becoming a serious pain. We're only talking like 7 email
addresses here (one of them being my personal address :)) but spam to some
of them was reaching 40%.

Anyway, an application of MAPS RBL/RSS/DUL cut 99% of the spam out.

There are actually three versions of the MAPS lists:

RSS: Relay Spam Stopper, that handles relays that are relaying spam.
DUL: Dialup Users List, a ISP provided list of dialup users that shouldn't
be sending email directly from their account (cheesy, I know).
And, finally, the infamous RBL: Realtime Black Hole list, or the really mean
list that can get added to routers and stuff to make offending sites (and
Rick) disappear.

For what it's worth, the RSS list is far and away the most useful. Scanning
our mail logs show it's by far the most active.

According the MAPS website, they take very seriously the gravity of the RBL
list and (according to them) really try to ensure that every effort is made
NOT to add innocent sites to it.

I, of course read that BEFORE I heard from Rick, so buyer beware.

Unfortunately, I haven't looked at all at the ORBS stuff to do a decent
comparison.

Marc

--
Marc Matteo