Re: [lug-nuts] Response to Da Basics meeting

From: Harry Souders (gnulinux@rosecomputing.com)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 12:08:45 PST

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 11:02:09AM -0800, Karen R wrote:
> >* note -- I put swap first
>
> I've seen in install instructions to put the swap first. And it
> brings up questions...
> 1) why?
> 2) does it make a difference between putting it first and last?
> 3) with 64mb ram, does one really need a swap file?

I usually put /boot first which contains my kernel(s). I don't know if
it still matters, but on very large hard drives (are there any other
types these days?) you used to have to have the kernel in the first 1024
cylinders. I am guess that this is still necessary Y/n?

Why swap first? (I have no idea)
I have heard it that putting the swap in the first partition will speed
up hard drive access. However, I have never seen proof of this?
Anyone???

swap files?
Definitely needed. Only in very specific situations do you not need a
swap file. I use a swap on my web server of 128MB and it already has
128MB of ram. Most of my machines have 32-64MB of swap space. Even with
64MB of ram a swap is usually needed.

Last week I was compiling a program on a new
machine that had no swap file. The machine had 64MB of ram. The program
didn't have enough memory to compile. Now, you might be saying that you
don't compile programs. Well, I think the latest Netscape browswer for
linux requires that it be compiled during it's install. Btw, anyone used
Netsape 4.7?