Re: Newbies Allowed? ... WAS: Re: [lug-nuts] Response to Da Basics meeting

From: William W. Viergever (wwvierg@ibm.net)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 11:26:10 PST

Appreciate the advice - thanks Brian.

I've a buddy from the SAS-List, who is also a Linux guru/evangelist, and it's at his prodding that I'm finally going to get off my arse and do a Linux box (he, although being in the Bay Area, turned me onto this List). I've been doing SAS since mid 70's and OS/2 since '89 (OS/2 v 1.3) - even did some old Unix in ealry 80's on a Zylog box and DEC VT-200 terminals so hopefully I won't be completely in over my head.

Tried to do RH 5.2 last year onto an old Thinkpad 755C but it's Future Domain SCSI wasn't supported so CD-install was out and I didn't want to mess around on a DOS partition (only has a 1.2 GB drive), hard drive based install, etc.

But as soon as I get a new box to move my OS/2 server (actually Warp Server Advanced over Warp 4 base - not SMP enabled) onto then I plan on using my existing dual PPro 180 (w/ 256 MB of ram, 2 4.5 GB ultra-wides, 1 9.1 GB U2W [hung off the uw card though], 8 MB Matrox Millenium, 3-COm 10/100 NIC) to do a Linux box.

My bud (who turned me onto this local list) is partial to the Debian dist (?) for ease of updating (even though it may a hair behind rev-wise). I told him the new RH Pro looked good to me as it includes Apache 1.39 and IBM's DB/2. He said so what! you can DL anything, almost everyone includes Apache anyway, and why go with DB/2 when I can get MySQL (?).

Hopefully, by next month I'll have my new box and can do the next Da Basics/Installfest combo. In the mean time........

1st Newbie Question: Just what is the Debian distribution? is it another company like Corel or Red Hat? .. is it a "type" of dist? .. will someone elaborate?

My bud has also sent me a suggested setup (partition wise, etc.) to do on my 3-spindle, dual PPro machine. When I get the new box I'll post that here and seek comments on his suggested config and any additional advice this List may wish to share. If anyone wants to share any suggested config/setups *now*, please feel free! <g>.

TIA

Later

Later

At 10:42 AM 01/18/2000 -0800, Brian Lavender wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 10:28:47AM -0800, William W. Viergever wrote:
> > -----
> > * I'm so new, I don't even have a Linux box yet!!.
>
>I frequently direct Newbies to the Caldera Open Linux 2.3, available
>from Best Buy for $35 with a ten dollar rebate. I am truly amazed at
>the simplicity of the Caldera installation, and the book is easily
>readable too. And to the curious Linux user who is trying too evaluate
>the different distros, I direct him to the cheapbytes Mondo pack.
>
>http://www.cheapbytes.com
>
>Note:
>he means she here too. Try this substitution in vi (I'm not all emacs)
>:% s/him/him\/her/g
>
>brian
>
>--
>Brian Lavender
>http://www.brie.com/brian/

William W. Viergever Voice : (916) 483-8398
Viergever & Associates Fax : (916) 483-8399
A SAS Institute Quality Partner (USA) E-mail : wwvierg@ibm.net
Sacramento, CA 95825

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
- Groucho Marx