Re: [lug-nuts] samba on a gateway

From: Nathan L. Walls (nwalls@ismedia.org)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 23:56:38 PST

My understanding is that the SMB protocol has a way of spreading itself
around a network. My solution is to add the following lines to my
rc.firewall script through ipchains. This keeps any unfriendly stuff
from hitting your windows clients, but does not deal with any possible
data leakage from them, which I can't speak to.

>From ipchains (note, wordwrapping):

/sbin/ipchains -A input -j REJECT -p udp -s $UNIVERSE -d $UNIVERSE
netbios-ns
/sbin/ipchains -A input -j REJECT -p udp -s $UNIVERSE -d $UNIVERSE
netbios-dgm
/sbin/ipchains -A input -j REJECT -p udp -s $UNIVERSE -d $UNIVERSE
netbios-ssn

where $UNIVERSE = 0.0.0.0/0

This is entirely dependent on the use of a 2.2 kernel with ipchains. Or
are you trying to deal with this from another angle?

Nathan

--
Creative intelligence, now with vowels!
http://ismedia.org/ | nwalls@ismedia.org