[lug-nuts] ipchains..?

From: Ajay 'Hempstah' T (atallam@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 05:05:54 PST

Hey all,

I was just reading this simpsons.net slashdot article, and found something
this Inoshiro guy (who seems to have a lot to say, even on this one
article!) fairly interesting.. He said:

   Yeah, I love being a captive audience.. Considering reliable broadband
   is available for 40$ Cdn (28$ US) in the form of Cable Modem access
   through a local @Home monopoly, I don't think it's really worth it..
   Linux can easily provide protection from the @Home portscanning via
   ipchains :)

Huh? I'm confused/curious, could somebody tell me more about this? How can
you stop portscanning with/from ipchains? If so, I guess you could set
ipchains on any/every box then, right? (Aka, including dialup)
Granted I'm not very familiar with ipchains or anything like that, so/but!
Sorry if this question seems a little simple in nature.

(Ohh, and for that one/last procmail question, doh! Mike had it 100% right, I
had to set SHELL, damn! I thought I had it set from a previous time I had a
similar problem, ohh well, guess not! Thanks MikeS!!)

        -Ajay

--
Tallam, Ajay     Milpa, ca	1877.213.7746x4358	MooTown, HempVille
			http://os2man.cjb.net/