Re: [lug-nuts] Newbie: Windows to Linux network

From: Brian Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 16:06:16 PST

For greatest reading pleasure, I suggest reading Olaf Kirch's Network
Administrator's Guide. It is definitely a heartwarming book for fireside
reading. I have fallen asleep reading it several times.

As for the quick and dirty solution, just make your windows machine so
it is on the same class network. Go into properties under network,
and then the properties for your nic card. I use a class C internal
private network. ie

windows machine
IP address 192.168.1.2
Network 192.168.1.0
Broadcast 192.168.1.255

Linux machine
IP address 192.168.1.100
Network 192.168.1.0
Broadcast 192.168.1.255

If you want to access your newly built linux box from your windows machine
by name, you can add this to your C:\windows\hosts file

192.168.1.100 mymachine.foo.com www.foo.com mymachine

And of course you can go into your linux box and add this to your /etc/hosts

192.168.1.2 mywinmachine.foo.com mywinmachine

Then with your favorite web browser (lynx runs on dos) you can view your
web pages with:

http://mymachine.foo.com
or
http://www.foo.com

There are other options to this as you progress along, but this should get your
feet wet. You of course may start thinking about sharing your net connection
between your machines, and running a dns server. I think if there is any
large draw to linux, I would have to say it is its ability to share an internet
connection.

brian

--
Brian Lavender