RE: [Lug-Nuts] Stupid Newbie Questions

From: Lavender, Brian E SPK (BLavender@spk.usace.army.mil)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 14:23:47 PST

Hmm, those replies you saw from Jason were generated by his wonderful
(Lookout / need some change) mail client/server combo. The boys in Redmond
know how to screw with everyone, and it looks as if they are at it again.
BTW, I have never used vacation on Linux/Unix, but I have never seen auto
replies pump into mailing lists.I am using Lookout to to write this message
too.

To gunzip / untar a file

tar zvxf file.tar.gz

or

tar zxf file.tar.gz

The first answer is verbose and the contents will spew across the screen
before your eyes. The second one is silent.
If you want to see the contents without extracting the tar ball use:

tar ztvf file.tar.gz

This is good for when you want to check if the contents untar in a single
directory.

To make a program executable

chmod u+x foo.pl

or

chmod +x foo.pl

The first one will make it user executable. The second one will turn on all
the executable bits.
I really don't know how you create a tcp/udp port. I did not think you
could, and that this is something handled
by the kernel.