[Lug-Nuts] Stupid Newbie Questions

From: Adam Constable (stini@pacbell.net)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 13:49:08 PST

I have found ways aroun these problems by using X apps...but Its killing me to find the console commands

whats the quickest way to deal with tar.gz files?

zcat <tar file> | tar xz????

how do I change permissions on a file so I can execute it?

chmod x???? doesn't seem to work for me??

and how do I clear a tcp/udp port when its being used by an app??

for that matter the app I'm running doesn't appear in top so I can't figure out what it is to kill it.....

thanks for listening

stini