Re: [Lug-Nuts] Stupid Newbie Questions

From: Joel Hatch (joel@wolfpack2000.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 14:45:15 PST

Adam,

Are you trying to decompress / install something in a tar.gz file?

The command I use for that is: tar -xzvf file.tar.gz

That command extracts, ungzips, and verbosely dscribes what's going on
for file file.tar.gz...

To make a file executable for everyone, you can: chmod +x file
Executable just for you: chmod u+x file

You can also set specific permissions with: chmod ###
where ### is <owner permissions><group permissions> and <world
permissions>;
each is a number, as follows:
1: allow execution
2: allow writing
4: allow reading

Add up the numbers for allowing multiple things...
As an example,

chmod 754 file
allows the owner to read, write, and execute
allows members of the group to read and execute
and allows everyone else to read only