Re: [Lug-Nuts] InterBase

From: William W. Viergever (wwvierg@ibm.net)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 09:53:29 PST

PMFJI:

Am not sure, but hasn't IBM released a free DB/2 for Linux?

If so, then their v 7.0 w/ OLAP stuff (due mid-year) should be pretty slick.

Late

At 07:08 PM 02/14/2000 -0800, Brian Lavender wrote:
>When it comes to databases, I think of three different databases.
>
>MySQL
>PostgreSQL
>Oracle
>
>Each of these has their benefits and weaknesses. When it comes to
>databases, it takes a time and resource investment. And you certainly
>don't want to invest your time in a database that is going to have a
>weak user base, whether it is free or not. Now with open source,
>it gives it better odds that it will be around for a longer time, but
>if it's not GNU or BSD, be careful. A lot of companies right now seem
>to be capitalizing on the hype surrounding "Open Source" that really
>only allow you to see the code, but restrict you from redistributing
>your changes.
>
>As for a database not on the list, I would have to give it some serious
>thought before pursuing it in depth. I recommend the same to anyone,
>unless you have plenty of free time.
>
>brian
>
>On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 06:18:53PM -0800, Mike McCaskey wrote:
> > does anybody have experience with Inprise/Borland's InterBase database?
> >
> > good/bad? worth trying the beta?
>
>--
>Brian Lavender
>http://www.brie.com/brian/
>*
>* http://www.saclug.org

William W. Viergever Voice : (916) 483-8398
Viergever & Associates Fax : (916) 483-8399
A SAS Institute Quality Partner (USA) E-mail : wwvierg@ibm.net
Sacramento, CA 95825

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
- Groucho Marx