Re: [Lug-Nuts] InterBase

From: Brian Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 19:08:38 PST

When it comes to databases, I think of three different databases.

MySQL
PostgreSQL
Oracle

Each of these has their benefits and weaknesses. When it comes to
databases, it takes a time and resource investment. And you certainly
don't want to invest your time in a database that is going to have a
weak user base, whether it is free or not. Now with open source,
it gives it better odds that it will be around for a longer time, but
if it's not GNU or BSD, be careful. A lot of companies right now seem
to be capitalizing on the hype surrounding "Open Source" that really
only allow you to see the code, but restrict you from redistributing
your changes.

As for a database not on the list, I would have to give it some serious
thought before pursuing it in depth. I recommend the same to anyone,
unless you have plenty of free time.

brian

--
Brian Lavender