[Lug-Nuts] Windows 2000

From: Brian Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 11:31:44 PST

I just went to the windows 2000 exposition at Memorial Auditorium. Bill
is looking a little worn from the criticism befalling Microsoft and it
looks as if MS is struggling to keep up with the rapid development of the
net.

I don't see anything in Windows 2000 to get all excited about. Apparently
MS is working with Unisys, to develop systems with up to 32
processors. Interestingly, the bus is a serious bottleneck in systems
with multiple processor systems.

If anything I got the impression that win 2k was trying to be everything,
and it is growing quite monolithic. With proprietary Unix systems, you
may be locked into certain flavor, but you still have the option to use
GNU tools. It appears that with Linux, if you want a Unix type shell,
you have to buy it. Bottom line, looks as if you are really in a box
with win 2k.

It looks as the Linux has lots o opportunity. The kerberos thing with
windows does like like something we will want to take a look at. It also
seems as if win 2k has made strides with Directory Services and whatever
you would call Network Information Services. I guess it is NIS on Linux
right?

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/