Re: [Lug-Nuts] NICS

From: Scott Tyson (tysons@deepwell.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 18:59:42 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean-Paul Rees" <sean@dreamfire.net>
To: <lug-nuts@saclug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 6:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Lug-Nuts] NICS

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 05:23:49PM -0800, Scott Tyson wrote:
> > I was curious about what NICs people are running especially in a high
volume server. I've got an Intel Pro 100+ but I'm becomming increasingly
discouraged at the problems people have with this card either via transmit
timeout errors or poor performance. I don't get any errors but performance
is a concern. I've used these nics by the tgruckload at work on NT. A
friend of mine replaced his with a 3COM and his Quake3/Tribes/Unreal
tournament Server had noticable performance increases. Hmm.

> > Scott
>
> You know its funny... Linux controls network cards with a lot more
problems
> than any other OS I've seen.
>
> I heartily recommend the EtherExpress Pro's tho, I have two and they've
> been great. I also have a 905B-TX, but I don't run Linux on that machine
:D.

Well the gig with the Etherexpress Pros is that under laod they get transmit
timeouts on Linux at least. It seems to be an issue with the Chipset from
what I've been able to gather from the hardcore geeks on the eepro
mailinglist. It is an issue that Donal becker the driver maintainer has not
been able to resolve. One person solves it and 3 others using the same fix
don't see the same results.
I ran into these same knds of problems with my elcheapo Linksys 10/100. I
got it back in the Redhat 5.0/5.2 days because it was DEC Tulip chipset.
Well Linksys changed the chipset to a DEC clone. The Tulip driver worked
but only one certain kernel version. 2.0.36 I could never get to funtion
with that NIC.

I guess I'll keep fishing. I'm thinking of swapping the Intel with one of
my Tulip clones I have at home (2 linksys using 2 different chipsets and a
D-link) just to see what happens. :)