Re: Slow Multia

From: Andrew (scream@cwo.com)
Date: Sun Jul 25 1999 - 04:09:45 PDT

Since I am a Redhat user, I use the rpm command. If you do a man on rpm it
will instruct you on everything you need to know on installing, removing, and
upgrading your software.

For example if you type:

rpm -q -a | grep gnome

it should list all the packages to do with gnome

then:

rpm -e --nodeps package name

this will uninstall the package you specify.

rpm -Uvh package name

will install and/or upgrade the specified package

You mentioned KDE and Gnome are you trying top get a way from gnome? I could
see why you would. I feel it is still a little early for gnome. It's real
pretty but not quite what I am, looking for. I use KDE and have had good
success.

If you uninstall gnome and install KDE. the rpm package should setup all the
startx stuff. Below you had mentioned that it runs your cpu up quite high, I
havn't experienced this and might not hurt to uninstall and reinstall those
packages.

Good Luck

Andrew